Freddy Karyadi has over twenty-five years of practising law in Indonesia and has been heavily involved in numerous complex cross border deals including project financing, capital market (including offshore and local offerings, asset backed securities, corporate actions involving public companies), M&A, investment, employment and dispute settlement/bankruptcy.
Freddy was recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” for fintech by Chambers FinTech Guide in 2023 and has handled many transactions involving technology and fin-tech/health-tech/edu-tech/TMT companies, from early-stage fund raising, integration, exit, public offering preparation to regulatory compliance. Freddy has represented independent power producers (IPP), giant ECAs and commercial banks for various electricity sector financing. Freddy's clients vary from multinational to start-ups which span across a wide range of industries including natural resources, energy, financial institutions (including multi-finance and insurance), healthcare, private equity funds, and property. With a strong knowledge of legal, commercial, TAX and accounting issues that these industries encounter, Freddy can quickly identify the key issues and offer practical business oriented legal solutions.
On litigation matters, Freddy handled various suspensions of payment and bankruptcy proceeding of various industries including aviation, shipping, and mining sectors.
Freddy has been consistently rated as a leading lawyer by several international publications including Asialaw, Legal500, Asia Business Law Journal, and IFLR1000 for the last half decade.
He is a member of the Editorial Board of The Derivatives and Financial Instrument Journal of the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentations. He contributes numerous law articles of IFLR, International Tax Review, Thomson Reuters, International Comparative Legal Guide and Getting the Deal Through. Karyadi was also a speaker at IBA, IPBA, IFA and IFLR events and gave seminars for tech start-up communities.
Recent transactions highlight:
- Leading ABNR team in representing SINARMAS Group in USD 250 millions dollars investment in DANA, a leading payment fintech (2022);
- Leading ABNR team in assisting PT Bank Aladin Syariah Tbk (syariah digital bank) in its multi hundred million dollars funds raising (rights issues and private placement) (2022);
- Leading ABNR team in advising PT Indo Raya Tenaga, the (around US$ 3.6 billion) project company Java 9&10 power plant; (2020);
- Leading ABNR team in advising a prominent investor in the approx USD 18 billion mega-merger of Indonesian top tech companies (2021);
- Leading ABNR team in assisting a divestment majority stakes in around USD 100 million dollars fintech to a top leading Indonesian technology company (2020);
- Leading ABNR team in assisting major international fintech driven investment firm in providing multimillion dollars facility to a leading peers to peers platform (2020);
- Assisting project owner in EPC agreement with Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co. amounting to US$1.42 billion thermal power plant construction project in Indonesia (2019);
- Assisting a world leading manufacturer in the rack-and-pinion rail vehicle industry in its cooperation (initial investment around USD 100 milion) with the Indonesian state-owned integrated rolling stock manufacturer (2019);
- Assisting a multi million dollars partial divestment in a market leading printing company to a major Japanese printing company and the relevant cooperation (2019);
- University of Indonesia – Bachelor Degree in Law, graduated in 1998
- Trisakti University – Bachelor Degree in Economics - Accountancy, graduated in 1997 (Cum Laude).
- Universiteit Leiden, the Netherlands - LLM in International Taxation Degree, graduated in 2002.
- Peking University, PRC – MBA, graduated in 2015
- Columbia University, USA – Summer Program – American Law, 2002